Google

Friday, December 15, 2006

One Stop Turns Into Three

On the way home from work, with my booty of fish, I stopped at the Tesco supermarket on the other side of town. I decided I would buy only the things I prefer from Tesco, then go to Sainsbury's near my house, and redeem a loyalty reward for £2.50 off shopping. Funds are low, so I could use the money off. In Tesco, I bought cole slaw, a four-pack of Tesco Nutty nougat and caramel bars, and Tesco Value peanuts. I wanted some Tesco frozen sweetcorn and some hot dog buns, but they were out of each. I decided to nold off buying Tesco hot dogs, so I could see if the better Herta brand were on sale at Sainsbury's.
I had so few items, I was able to use the 10 items or less checkout. Guess who I found on the till? Corazon. She recognized me even though I hadn't spoken to her in months. She asked me how things were going with me and I told her, "terrible, lots of problems."
"Problems with your girlfriend?" That was an interesting thing for her to ask.
"I don't have a girlfriend, at the moment," I admitted. I would only ask a question like that if I was interested in a person. Hmmm. She reminded me that Christmas was near. Big deal.
I left Tesco and drove across town, via the back streets, to avoid the rush hour traffic. I haven't shopped for food at Sainsbury's for ages, but I almost always buy petrol from there. I had accumulated enough points from petrol to get £2.50 off my shopping. In the store, I checked the reduced to clear areas, first. String beanmasheded down to 20 Pence. I'll have three packages of those. Potato salad marked down. Glad I didn't buy any at Tesco. I observed another shopper, female, tall, with lonbrownnw hair, curvy figure. She made eye contact. I smiled and she smiled back. She wore a long, lose red skirt, with different panels, designed to look like a patchwork. They seem to be in style around here. I saw her again in the next aisle and we exchanged smiles again. Then I saw her in a third aisle...walking with a guy. Oh well. If she's with a guy, why the heck did she keep smiling at me?
Problem. Herta hot dogs weren't on sale and I had forgotten that Sainsbury's brand were 50 Pence morexpensiveve than Tesco Brand. What's worse, they don't even taste as good. I was completely ut at home and with the weekend here, I would normally have hot dogs for breakfast and lunch. The good news is that they had hot dog buns, so I had buns but nothing to put in them. I didn't fancy the idea of driving back to Tesco. I was now near home and Tesco was on the opposite side of Bracknell. I wondered if I could hitch a ride with Nando, over the weekend. He doesn't go to Tesco, though. Should I try to do without till Monday? Then remembered that I had forgotten to buy Tesco Value Squash. Could I go without that, as well? That's it, I decided to return to Tesco.
I had seen a coffee flavored cake marked down, in the bakery department, to only 89 Pence. I debated with myself as to whether I should buy it to share with Nando. Last weekend, Nando had shared some coffee flavored cake he'd brought home from work, with me. I hadn't shared the chocolate cake I had brought home this week. I decided to buy it. Then on to the checkout aisles.
Trying to decide which checkout to use, I saw a strange sight. There was one with twyoungng women at the end, wearing fake horns on their heads, with streamers comeing from the ends, like a cheerleader's pompoms. Only one checkout had them. I decided to join the queue for that one Two pretty girls at the end made up for the fact that the person on the till was a guy. What a surprise, the person in front of me turned out to be the woman with the long, red skirt. She smiled at me, again. The guy was in front of her. Strangely, he paid for part of the shopping they had between them, then she paid for the rest. Are they a couple, or just two friends shopping together?
Then I noticed thatheeh two girls at the end otheeh counter were offering to pack people's shopping for them. They had a bucket for "donations." Oh, I would need to tip them. The bucket had a sign on it. They were "Guides." When it was my turn, I accepted the girls' offer to pack my shopping. I aksed them if they checked out what people were buying, while packing. They both said "no." I spent so much time watching the girls that I forgot to ask for my 2.50 off. I remembered too late. The whole purpose of the visit was ruined. Oh well, i would just have to collect the discount next time.
Back to Tesco, I grabbed a package of hot dogs and some Tesco Value squash. Back to the checkout it was Corazon again. When she looked up and saw it was me again, she was startled. "What are you doing back here? Where have you been?"Sainsbury's," I admitted. "I forgot these two items," I explained.
"Oh you're going back and forth?
"Somewhat," I agreed. I noticed she didn't pack for me. Before I could get my purchases in a bag, the next man started talkling to her. I said "goodbye " and walked out, into the night,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home