Google

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Who's Picking These Films?

I was digging around for something to watch, tonight. After watching "Eastenders" with me, S1 went out to meet a friend at a pub, because there was "bugger all" on tele, this evening. Not having any friend to meet and not wanting to spend my limited funds at the pub, I persevered. I must have something like 1000 channels on Sky, but sometimes it's still hard to find something to watch. If there's crap on the five terrestrial channels, having 1000 channels just seems to result in 1000 times the crap. The movie channels let me down, as I had seen just about everything being offered.
I put on a documentary about the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence (S.E.T.I.), but I soon realized that I had seen it before. So, I switched to the tail end of "Sienfeld." The channel running "Sienfeld" does two episodes, back to back, so I caught the second one in its entirety. That took me to 9PM and some more movie start times. I dug deep and found that TCM was showing "Bright Lights, Big City," which I had never seen. My dinner was ready, so I decided to give this film a try. It's from 1988 and stars Michael J. Fox, with Kiefer Sutherland and Phobe Cates supporting. I used to have such a crush on Phobe Cates, from the first time I saw her, in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." She has that look I like so much...dark hair and eyes, with soft skin that has a hint of olive coloring. In "Bright Lights," she has her hair short again, like she did in "Gremlins." I much prefer it long, like she had in "Fast Times."
Anyway...Michael J. Fox plays a young, aspiring writer, working in the editorial research department of a magazine, in New York City. He turns to drugs and alcohol, in order to handle his wife leaving him and his mother's death. This is like the third film in a row! What is it with the programmers? First "Amelie," where the title character's mother dies, leaving her father a despondent widower. Then, "Under the Tuscan Sun," which is about a divorced American woman, who moves to Italy. Now, a film about a guy who's wife left him. The wife, played by Phobe Cates, is a fashion model. I dated a model, once. That would be the Great Michelle. At one point, Fox goes to a fashion show, to confront her. I wouldn't go somewhere I knew my evil ex-wife, the Black Queen, was going to be. It's bad enough when I go back to the village where I lived with her, to get my hair cut. I am always worried I might bump into her. Can't they put some films on that don't cause me to focus on being divorced and on my own?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home