Google

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Do You Remember?

Today is "Remembrance Day," here in the UK. Known as "Veteran's Day," in America, it is a day to commemorate the veterans of Britain's wars. The tradition began in 1919 and uses the date that World War I ended, the year before. UK tradition includes two minutes of silence, starting at the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, because that's the time (in the UK) that the guns stopped at the end of World War I.
Another British tradition associated with Remembrance Day, is buying and wearing red, paper "poppies." The Royal British Legion, a veteran's charity, sells these paper poppies to raise money. Why poppies? It was inspired by the poem, "In Flanders Fields," by Canadian, John McCrae. The poem refers to poppies which grew in the place where the war dead were buried. While I have no objection to donating money to charity, I don't like the wearing of the paper poppies. It looks a bit silly, to me. Opium is made from poppies. Surely the British Legion could raise more money selling opium, or something else useful, like tax free cigarettes, or guns, or something.
In the run up to Remembrance Day, you see tables of volunteers selling paper poppies for the British Legion, often at supermarkets and other prominent places in town centres. The volunteers usually look like they personally remember World War I. What the British Legion should do to increase sales is ditch the grannies and have hot, young women selling the poppies. Then guys would line up to buy them. Better yet, the hotties could sell kisses. Guys and gals could buy a snog with one of the lovelies, with the proceeds going to the British Legion. Why don't these charities ever consult me? I used to be in charge of fund raising for a charity, back in America. Why didn't I ever think up these bright ideas, then? I guess I was too young, back then. Older and wiser, now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joey B said...

You must be using the term, "good," losely.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home