Google

Monday, September 04, 2006

Max May Be Mad, But Is He Australian?

Because of the sudden death of Steve Irwin, the Australian crocodile hunter, Iain Lee began compiling a list of Australian celebrities, today, on "the 3 and 1/2 hour, 3 to 6:30, Iain Lee Afternoon Wireless Show" (LBC 97.3, London, Sky Channel 0177, or via the net at: http://www.lbc973.co.uk/ ). People were calling the show to suggest additions to the list. I decide to join the fun. When I reached Iain's producer, Agent Chris, he said he would call me back, then did, almost instantly. Wow, that's unusual. Have I, somehow acquired new credibility in the world of Iain Lee, or were they just desperate for calls?
Once on air, with Iain, I began offering my five candidates. Ned Kelly. Iain responded by pointing out that Ned Kelly was a bank robber, not really a celebrity. "They made a movie about him, though," I said, optimistically. Iain seemed skeptical. I pressed on, trying to get through my list before he cut me off. Dannii Minogue. Already mentioned, but Iain seemed as impressed with her looks as I am, rating her hotter than Kylie. Iain and I often share the same opinion about stuff, yet this is not evidence for Intelligent Design. Iain stated that he met Dannii, once, and that she is so tiny you could fit her in your pocket. "Did you," I asked? Iain says no. Dannii is gorgeous. I selected her as Artist of the Week, two weeks in a row, earlier this year. Do I stay talking about Dannii, or press on?
Olivia Newton-John. "We'll have her," Iain said. Good, I got one that no one else had mentioned. I am going to skip the next one I mentioned, for dramatic effect. The last one I came up with was the band, Men At Work. Iain dismissed them, saying they only had one hit. I couldn't think of another one, even though I know I used to like three of their songs. Isn't that just the way it always is? Never can think of a good Men At Work song, when you need one.
Looking back, the fourth one I mentioned...Mel Gibson. Ian said he thought Mel was actually born in America. I said I would research it. Off air, I began my internet search. IMDb has the following: "Mel Columcille Gerard Gibson was born on January 3, 1956, in Peekskill, New York, USA as the sixth of eleven children to parents Hutton Gibson, a railroad brakeman, and Ann Gibson, who was born in Australia and died in December of 1990. Though born in the US, Mel and his family moved to New South Wales, Australia." http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/bio
So, Mel was born in America, in Peekskill, New York, not all that far from where I was born, and only three and a half years before me. Gosh, he has so much fame and money and I am so broke. Well, I have three and a half years to catch up, yet. But then he moved to Australia at age 12. In addition, his mother was born in Australia, which would qualify Mel for Australian Citizenship. Gibson went to high school and university in Australia, and began his entertainment career there. When "Mad Max," in which he starred, was released in America, they dubbed Mel's voice, because of his strong, Aussie accent. So, is he American, or Australian, or both? Iain wanted to exclude him, but I think he should be included. What do you think? And why do people refer to Australia as, "Oz?" Long live Dannii Minogue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home