Google

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Charlotte Church's First TV Show

Last night, I watched Charlotte Church's new TV show. See? I survived. The thing I most like about Charlotte, besides her beauty and wonderful voice, is her ability to laugh at herself. She provide the perfect response to her negative critics, by embracing the negative comments about herself and making jokes out of them. From the beginning, where she sang her show's theme song, which takes the piss out of itself, through to the end, the show jokes about Charlotte, herself, and celebrities. There was a pre-recorded bit with Eric McCormack, from "Will & Grace," doing a spoof trailer for a supposed new TV show, "Hwyl & Grwys," a Welsh version of "Will & Grace," where Eric plays a gay, Welsh miner, in a piss take of his character, Will. I was disappointed that Eric didn't join Charlotte live, in studio, but this sketch seemed quite funny, particularly if you are a "Will & Grace" fan. Isn't everyone?
Charlotte was joined in studio by Denise Van Outen and new comedian, Michael McIntyre. Van Outen was a bit sedate and McIntyre isn't as funny as I am, but it was a descent show and, after all, only the first installment. TV series usually need a few episodes to settle in and find their rhythm. Each week, Charlotte will do a candid camera type bit. For this first episode, she was made up to look like a bald man, who was supposed to be an urban rapper, and went speed-dating. There was also a cameo appearance by Richard, from newly ended "Big Brother" series 7, playing himself. I wonder if Charlotte will have Glyn, the Welsh wonderboy of "Big Brother," or Imogen, the Welsh Beauty, in future episodes? Taped in Cardiff, the capital of Wales, the show is very Welsh themed. I wonder how this will go down with the larger British audience, but as I have a softspot for the Welsh, it's fine with me. Another feature is a talent competition, "Wales vs the rest of the World," where Charlotte openly displays a bias for Wales. Anyway, it's all in good fun.
If you missed it last night, the show will be rebroadcast on E4 and C4 during the week. The next episode will be next Friday, and I will be watching again. You can check out the show's website, which has lots of images of the beautiful Miss Church, at: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/C/charlotte/index.html
I don't know if it will be made available outside the UK at any point, but those of you not in Britain can still enjoy Charlotte's music and buy her CDs

2 Comments:

Blogger TCA said...

I AM Welsh and even my heavy bias could not distract me from the fsct thst the show was utter shite... you must have had a lobotomy before turning your telly on!

TCA

9:30 AM  
Blogger Joey B said...

Lobotomy? No. Actually, I qualify for Mensa. "Utter shite?" Is that a technical term? Did you even watch it? I don't know what you were expecting. It is what it is..a first show by someone who's never hosted a TV show before. Perhaps you have been peddling your bike too hard. Why do you say, "shite," instead of "shit?"

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home