Google

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Minimum James Max?

This evening, I made my weekly call to James Max's radio show, on LBC 97.3, London (Sky Channel 0177 or via the net at: http://www.lbc973.co.uk/ ). The show airs from 7PM to 9PM, Sunday nights. I was pleased to speak to Rebecca, the lovely producer, who was back from holiday. James was talking about reality TV shows and asked anyone who's ever applied to one to call in. I auditioned for "Big Brother," earlier this year, as James knows. A few days ago, I applied for another reality show, so I called in. I call James every Sunday, anyway, but I try to fit in with the topic.
Previously, James had said that I was his favorite caller. However, for the second week in a row, he took my call right before he was going to do something else and rushed me off. This week, although I was on hold for about 10 minutes, waiting for him, he waited till 8:14 to take my call. The problem? He does a break for the traffic report at 8:15. Because it was so close to 8:15, I thought he was going to wait till after the traffic to take my call, but no, he goes to me with less than a minute to go. Now, other presenters, in this situation, have held me over and continued the conversation after the break. In fact, James himself has done this before. When he goes to me, I said, "don't you have to break for traffic in a minute?"
"Yes, it gives me an excuse to get rid of you," he replied. If this is just a joke, that's one thing. I don't mind joking around. James had done his "Rant of the Week" on litter and I joked that it was a "load of rubbish." But for this to happen two weeks in a row is starting to seem like a pattern. One of you, my readers, who I have gotten to listen to his show said, "it sounds like he didn't want to talk to you." Also, he didn't introduce me, this week, with any build up whatsoever, as he usually does. I don't know what may have brought this about. I have tried to help James get more Myspace friends and more listeners to his show. I have written about him, previously, in my blog, promoting both. I see a number of you have added him, as I have suggested on several occasions. Is this not appreciated?
One problem could be that many of you haven't bothered commenting his Myspace, or sending him a message, letting him know you enjoy hearing me on his show. If you don't make your voices heard, he won't realize that having me on is beneficial to his show and better than marginalizing me. This is an opportunity to participate in radio, where ever you are in the world. You can listen to his show, at the address I gave, above. You can add him on Myspace (www.myspace.com/jamesmaxlondon ). Then you can email, message him, or call the show. He could even put you on air, so it's a total interactive experience. That Myspace profile is the real James Max, too, not a poser.
Last night, I had exactly the opposite experience. I called LBC while Nick Abbott was on, just to let his producer, Lucy, know the word he was having trouble thinking of. I wasn't trying to go on air, but she asked me to. I am always willing to do my bit for entertainment, so I agreed. I had only been listening a few minutes and didn't know the topics. When I asked Lucy, she just said, "he doesn't really do topics." So I plunged in, like a trooper. I am able to make conversation out of almost anything, and Nick and I ended up talking for about 10 minutes. Twice I thought he would end the call, but he kept it going.
Another presenter who takes full advantage of me is the lovely Opal Bonfante, who does "London Calling," on the Big L 1395AM, London (Sky Channel 0190 or via the net: http://www.bigl.co.uk/ ). Opal has me on just about every show and she's on five days per week, not the once per week that James does, on LBC. I usually get 10 - 15 minutes each time I am on with Opal and she works with me to make it an entertaining call. James should take a lesson from her. Opal has cut back from being on the Big L five days per week, to only four, because she's started doing a TV project, as well. Sadly, Opal has been off for several days. I hope she is okay. She was complaining about losing her voice, last week, and hasn't been on since. I have sent her a message, but had no reply, so far. She's next due on tomorrow night, as she does Monday through Thursdays, now, 10PM to 2AM. Hopefully, she will be on. If she is, then I will be, too, so make sure to tune in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home