Google

Monday, September 04, 2006

I Labored On Labor Day

I almost forgot to write a Labor Day blog. Oh well, thanks to time zones, I can still sneak one in, as it's still Monday in America. It's a holiday in the USA. Not here in England. Here, the holiday weekend was a week ago. I was originally scheduled to have Monday off, but I was called, late Sunday night, to work. In a way, that's good, as I need the money. Labor Day kind of symbolizes the end of the summer, for Americans, just as the August bank holiday does for Brits. Time seems to pass so fast, at my age. In a way, it's fitting that the British "end of summer" holiday comes a week before the American one. Summers seem shorter here. Last week, temperatures seemed a bit cool, although it has warmed up again, now. When you move from one country to another, you need to get used to a whole different set of holidays. The British have picked up the odd habit of spelling labor with a "u," a la "labour." Rumor has it they got it form the French. Anyway, happy Labor Day, to my homies, back in the good ol' USA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home