Google

Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday?

It was "Good Friday," today, and here in England, it was a "bank holiday." I was off work, yet still will be paid as if I had worked. What a result! I went to the Oracle, a shopping mall in Reading, with a friend. Upon arrival, the main, multi-story car park was showing "full" on the sign outside. Despite the sign, cars were steadily entering. So, was the sign true, or not? We decided to take a chance and ignored the sign. It turned out that spaces were available, although we ended up parking on the sixth level. There are only seven levels in total. I have never before been above the fifth. The mall was very busy. The sad news is, the sign has lost its credibility.
All day, it felt like Saturday. I had to keep reminding myself that it was Friday. As I continued to observe the Good Friday Bank Holiday with appropriately non-religious activities, a question popped into my head. Why do Christians call today "Good Friday?" If it's supposed to represent the day when their "lord and savior" was killed, that hardly seems "good." Surely having metal spikes hammered through your hands and feet is hardly going to be enjoyable. Oh well, at least my friend is Catholic.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home