Google

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Artist of the Week: Avril Lavigne

This week, my Artist of the Week is Canadian, Avril Lavigne. Her third album is to be released this month and the first single from it, "Girlfriend," is already one of my current favorites. Debuting at #5 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, in March, the video for it is currently receiving a lot of airplay on UK music video channels. In her video, she seems to have reinvented herself a bit, sporting blond hair. The first time I saw it, I didn't recognize her, until I saw the artist name at the end of the video. Some detractors have suggested that "Girlfriend" copies the style and sound of "Mikey," the 1982 hit by Toni Basil. I think Avril's song is significantly distinct from Basil's, and a much better song.
Avril has worked on three film projects, so far: "Over the Hedge," "The Flock," and "Fast Food Nation." Last year, she married Deryck Whibley, of Sum 41. She also does modelling and appears on the cover of the current issue of "Focus" magazine, here in the UK. You can check her out on Myspace, at: www.myspace.com/avrillavigne .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home