Google

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Artist of the Week: Girls Aloud


This week, it was easy for me to pick my Artist of the Week, Girls Aloud. A couple of days ago, I was driving into London to attend "Make Me a Supermodel: Extra," when I heard a song on the radio that I had never heard before. I wasn't even sure who it was by, just that it was a girl group. Then, yesterday, I saw the video for the first time and discovered that the song, "Something Kinda Ooooh," is the new single by Girls Aloud. The video premiered on UK music video channels only yesterday and the single is due to be released tomorrow. It's from a new album by the Girls, "the Sounds of Girls Aloud," which is due out at the end of this month. The album is a greatest hits collection, with a couple of new tracks, one of which is, "Something Kinda Oooooh." It is one of those songs that grabbed me the instant I heard it. Unlike some of their recent songs, which are more sedate, like "Whole Lotta History," "Ooooh" is fast and danceable. I think it is the best song they have recorded, so far, and it's my profile song for the week.
I can't imagine anyone doesn't know who Girls Aloud are, already. They were created on the reality TV show, "Pop Stars: The Rivals," in 2002. To date, all twelve of their previous singles have reached the top 10 in the UK charts, something no other girl group has achieved. That tops the old Spice Girls record of ten singles in the top 10. "Something Kinda Ooooh" is their 13th single and I predict it will be in the top 10, as well. Ironically, 13 is my favorite number. When they first hit the music scene, some people made fun of them, but they have defied their early critics to become one of the most successful reality TV acts ever. The group is comprised of Nadine Coyle, Cheryl Tweedy (now Cheryl Cole), Nicola Roberts, Kimberley Walsh, and Sarah Harding, all beauties. You can view their Myspace profile at: www.myspace.com/girlsaloud . If you don't have them as "friends" already, add them and tell them I sent you. Buy the single, tomorrow. I am going to buy the album and so should you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home