Google

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Dark Matter

I have a friend who works at a restaurant and on the nights he works till closing, he saves some of the leftover food for me. The only bad thing about it is that I have to go there after the manager leaves, which means I meet him there after midnight. I needed to go, tonight, because I had used up the last of what he gave me, last week. The problem is, I didn't feel up to going out.
Earlier, I watched "Donnie Darko," finally. For years, people have been telling me to watch this film. Well, people other than Tom, the Injured Cyclist (http://theinjuredcyclist.blogspot.com/ ). I was visiting Tom a few months ago, when he asked if I wanted to watch a DVD. Then the task was selecting one he had that I wanted to watch. Ironically, before he asked me, I had scanned his DVD library, to see what he had. I saw "Donnie Darko" in his collection and thought I might have the chance to finally see it. When he asked what I wanted to watch, I suggested "Donnie Darko." Tom didn't like that choice. He gave me that less than happy look he gets, sometimes. He suggested some foreign film, instead. I do like foreign films, but I wasn't in the mood for one, that night. I repeated that I would like to see "Donnie Darko." He suggested another foreign film. He didn't seem fond of "Darko." To date, Tom is the only person I have met who has watched "Donnie Darko" and not urged me to watch it. We debated it back and forth. The two foreign films, versus "Donnie Darko." You can tell where this is going, can't you? We ended up watching none of them. Tom put on some video of Al Murray doing standup. I only laughed one time during the entire DVD.
So tonight, when I saw that "Donnie Darko" was being shown on BBC Three, I was keen to watch it. One drawback: it was starting at 10PM. I was somewhat tired, working early everyday this week. While I was watching the film, my eyes started feeling heavy, or as the Black Queen used to say, "head too heavy." I kept fighting to stay awake. I was surprised to find that Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze were in the film. Although I may have shut my eyes a couple of times, I managed to rouse myself and make it to then end. Now nearing midnight, It was almost time to go to the restaurant. I didn't feel like getting dressed and going out. I decided to call British TV and radio presenter, Opal Bonfante. Of course, Opal started pushing me to write my blog article. She likes to read my blog everyday.
While I was talking to the lovely one, herself, the younger of my two housemates, M1, came home. I can hear him coming, because his car has one of those loud, boy racer exhausts on it. It's the noisiest car on our street. I tend to keep most of the lights in the house off. M1 is the opposite. I ventured downstairs to get some water. He had the hallway light on, upstairs, the entrance light on, and the lounge light on. I found him in my seat, in the lounge, watching Sky...the Sky he has yet to contribute and money towards. "Do you have enough lights on," I asked, sarcastically. The sarcasm was lost on him. True to his chavish nature he was watching "Pimp My Ride." I asked him where the exotic beauty of a girlfriend of his was. He mumbled some response that was unintelligible to me. Just as well, as the thought of that exquisite, Ferrari of a woman with the chavish boy racer disturbs my tranquility. I contemplated turning off the entrance and upstairs hallway lights off, but decided to leave it as it was. I went upstairs to get my jacket, for the trip to the restaurant.
I thought how much my attitude toward the dark has changed, since I was a little kid. I used to be afraid of the dark. I insisted that my mother leave a light on in my room, when I went to bed. Mother tried to wean me off it, by putting a nightlight in my room. It was a horrible, Donald Duck thing, that plugged into the socket. Obviously, it had a bulb inside that gave off a dimmed light. I didn't like the nightlight. I was never much into Disney and it seemed too dim. My mother got me to graduate to having the hall light on and leaving my door ajar. At some point in my life, I switched to loving the darkness. Not the band, the lack of light I am talking about. When I was married to the Black Queen, I remember her youngest, my step-son, being afraid of the dark. I talked to him about it, just like my mother didn't with me. "The darkness is our friend," I used to tell him. It hides us from our enemies. I think most kids are afraid of the dark because they are afraid of what might be out in it, unseen. They imagine all sorts of monsters. I reasoned with him that if he's lit, any monsters could then see him easily. In the darkness, he's hidden from them. Does all of this relate, in some way, to "Donnie Darko?" It's a film about a teenager who sees a giant, talking rabbit. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home