Google

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Earlobe

Written 19th June, 2006:

This past Saturday morning, Bill Buckley asked for people to call in with jokes that begin, "what do you call a..." Another topic he was discussing was the Queen's birthday honours list. Because his show starts at 1AM, he had first view of the honours list. I decided to call in and mix the two. Although the producer asked me what my "what do you call a..." joke was, I said I didn't want to reveal it till I was on air, as it would spoil the surprise. After assuring him it wasn't "dirty," he decided to trust me, possibly because I am a regular caller who has always behaved well in the past.
When Bill took my call, I told him my joke. He'd either like it or hate it. "What do you call and Earl with an O.B.E.?"
"I don't know," Bill said.
"An earlobe," I answered. He liked it! Yes, I know it's a bit cheesy, but you should have heard some of the other ones people called in with. He also acknowledged that I was the first caller that evening who had managed to combine the joke with the subject of Queen's honours. I then went on to discuss the Queen's honours list, specifically to ask Bill if I was on the list. Could this be the year that I am finally knighted? Bill broke the news to me!!! I wasn't on the list. Not even an O.B.E.. Oh B.S.! If only I had been selected for "Big Brother," then the Queen would have had a chance to see me work. Despite the rumors I keep hearing, I do not think Her Majesty reads this blog...yet. At the end of his show, Bill selected my joke as one of the top five best jokes submitted that evening. Oh, I do so love to be recognized for my work.
Unusually, I was working Saturday, from 2PM. I tuned in Wendy Lloyd on LBC 97.3, London, for the drive to work. I often call Wendy, but as I was diving to work, I was just a passive listener, this time. Wendy was discussing cycling in London!! I hoped that my Myspace friend, Tom, was listening. Tom does sometimes listen to LBC. Tom is an avid cyclist who broke his leg while riding in London. Take a look at Tom's blog at his Myspace page: www.myspace.com/tomamoslondon
He writes about his injury and his recovery. Tom wants to convince people not to cycle in London, as it's dangerous and here was Wendy trying to convince people to cycle. He should call in, that would make great radio. Tom wants more publicity for his cause, here's his chance. Sadly, Tom wasn't listening. I didn't have Tom's mobile number, or I would have sent him a text "heads up."
I was back, working at the golf course. The pregnant waitress was there, again. As if that wasn't bad enough, I saw the South African chef kissing her. Are they a couple? What's she see in him? The Slovakian Ice Princess stopped by, although she was not working. This is the first time I have seen her out of her uniform. Wow, she had her hair down! Wearing jeans and a T shirt, she still looked gorgeous. She pulled one of the Slovakian chefs aside for a chat. Are they a couple, too? All these women settling for others, when they could have had me.
If that wasn't bad enough, when I get home, someone has taken my usual parking place, in front of my house!!! Oh, I felt like swearing! I ended up parking further down the road.
Listening to Bill Buckley again, on Sunday morning, he started talking about Myspace. I decided to call in. I had emailed Bill earlier in the week asking if the person with Bill's picture on Myspace was, in fact, Bill, or an imposter, but I didn't hear him answer on air. When I got through, Bill said he hadn't seen my email, but no it wasn't him. We looked at the Myspace profile together, on air. I also thanked Bill for selecting my joke for the top five the morning before.
You can listen to Bill Buckley and to Wendy Lloyd, as well as other interesting presenters, at LBC 97.3, London: http://www.lbc973.co.uk
Pass it on!
And get your favorite monarch to read this blog...and to knight me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home