Google

Sunday, July 30, 2006

About Last Night

The following is an story I originally wrote on the 26th of May:

My mother called me, last night. That's strange, as she never calls me. She hasn't called me once, since my divorce...until now. I was watching TV, downstairs. I thought I heard the phone ring, but I wasn't sure if it was on the TV, or in real life. Does that ever happen to you? Anyway, it stopped. Since I only seem to get sales calls, I carried on watching TV.
Later, when my internet connection crashed, I picked up the phone to make sure the line was still live. I heard the tone that indicates I have a message. Listening to the message, it was my mother. She said it was an emergency. That's my worst fear, as she's 3500 miles away, and across an ocean. So I immediately called her back.
She answered the phone. I waited for her to say what was wrong. She sounded ok. I asked, "what's wrong?" She mumbled something. I had to ask again, then she said, "I'm sick?" "With what? Is it serious?" I asked. She said, "well, I either have food poisoning, or a heart problem." I read out the symptoms of food poisoning from my "Food safety" textbook. She had none of them.
"It doesn't sound like food poisoning, as you have none of the symptoms." She then tried to convince me she'd had a heart attack. She said she's been experiencing shortness of breath and loss of strength. "When did this happen?" "Tuesday," she said, "since Tuesday I've been like this." "Ma," it's Thursday. If you'd had a heart attack two days ago, I think you'd know it by now."
Then she tells me she's booked a car and driver, from a limousine company I used to work for, to drive her on some errands and the take her to the hospital emergency room. "Ma, this doesn't sound like an emergency. Maybe you should make an appointment with a doctor." "You don't think it's serious?" "Ma, most people who are having a heart attack call an ambulance. They don't book a limo for three days after the fact. If you think you have had a heart attack, call 911 and get yourself to a hospital straight away." "If you get the police to arrange an ambulance, they charge you. If the fire department do it, they don't charge." "So call the fire department."
"I called Carizma Limousines (the company I used to work for). She said Pete was still there. She didn't give me a discount. I mentioned your name. She didn't seem to remember it."
"Did you speak to Linda? Linda would remember me."
"I don't know, maybe this girl was new. How much should I tip the guy? He's going to have to help me into the bank. and help me in and out of the car."
"Ma, they bill you a gratuity. I don't know, give him $10 or $20 extra, if you want. I'm sure he'll be happy with that."
"But is that enough? He's going to have to help me. Ruth offered to drive me, but I told her no."
"Why? Do you want me to ask Tim or Barbara to take you? Why are you spending so much money for a car?"
"No, I don't want help from anyone who hasn't offered it before."
"Tim and Barbara haven't offered to help, because you told me not to involve them before," I reasoned. "I am sure they'do it for free. It would save you money. You aren't rich, why spend $180 on a car and driver, when they will do it free?"
"No. I have to go all over."
There is no reasoning with her. She's very stubborn, my mother. Her next concern," if they want me to stay at the hospital, should I?" "Well, yeah!" She carried on talking for quite awhile, like usual. I assured her that she's probably okay and eventually ended the conversation, so I could get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home