Google

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Praise For Some Cops

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am no fan of police. I have been known to refer to them as, "fascist stormtroopers of the state." One of the things that makes police in America better than police in the UK is that the ones in America are more willing to take bribes. The police in the UK, however, are better in as much as most of them don't carry guns. I'm not sure which I prefer, although given that I don't have much money, these days, perhaps I am better off with the gunless, UK police. As an aside, I'd like to mention that female cops in Britain look sexier in their uniforms than do their American counterparts. That's probably because the uniforms female cops wear, in Britain, is more flattering to the female form, than are the ones worn by the Americans.
My two favorite cops of all time (so far) are Peter Christ and John Perry. I like Peter, a retired Captain, because he is retired, he has the cool surname "Christ," and because he taught me anger reduction techniques. John Perry, who died in the September 11th attacks, was a good friend who got me started in acting. He appreciated the difference between victimless "crimes" and crimes in which innocent victims were harmed. I have now come across a couple of cops here, in Britain, who deserve praise. The first is Ian Redhead, Deputy Chief Constable of Hampshire. Referring to the growth in CCTV surveillance cameras ( http://itn.co.uk/news/b75c2839e2c7fe1120b66281d1105cf3.html ), Ian said:
"If it's in our villages, are we really moving towards an Orwellian situation where cameras are at every street corner?
"And I really don't think that's the kind of country that I want to live in."
I think he gets it!
While I was looking for Ian's quotes, I discovered another chap, Colin Langham-Fitt, Acting Chief Constable for Suffolk (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=455600&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490 ). Colin expressed concern that the CCTV culture is eroding civil liberties. I think he gets it, too!
Not to be a critic who never gives praise where praise is due, I wanted to celebrate these two British cops for having the courage to speak out in favor of liberty. Now if only I could find some good looking, female cop, who thinks the same way as they do, to frisk me, then all would be right with the world. At least this corner of it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home