Google

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Fancy Dress

Today, I got to work overtime at the restaurant. There was a fancy dress party there, tonight, so I did a fourteen hour day. For some strange reason, British people say, "fancy dress," while in America folks would say, "costume party." I am always comparing British expressions with American ones. Sometimes I prefer the American and sometimes I prefer the British. This is a case where I prefer the American. The first time I heard people say, "fancy dress party," I thought it meant to dress in a fancy way, like black tie or something. To me, "costume party" is more to the point and less ambiguous.
I could see some of the customers in their costumes. The theme of the party was "Hollywood," so people were mostly dressed as film characters. There was a Darth Vader and an Imperial Stormtrooper, from "Star Wars." I heard there was also a Princess Leia. I saw a cowboy, a Marilyn Monroe, a gangster, a Roman soldier, and some sort of Samurai, or ninja, or something. It's strange, but I have never had any desire to go to a costume party and dress up as something.
The work this evening was easy and I got another free meal, as we got dinner. I had chicken curry and rice. In the late afternoon, I had some watermelon chunks, nice and cold. The management also sprang for free Coca Cola and, at the end of the evening, a bottle of beer. Usually, I have water or milk. Then, as a double special bonus, the Manager let me take home some of the left over curry, chili, and rice. I brought home enough free food to last all weekend. Is it just me, or does free food taste better? There's still tomorrow. Maybe I can snag some fish tomorrow. Yum yum, pig's bum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home