Google

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Happy Pearl Harbor Day

I just realized that I forgot to wish anyone a happy Pearl Harbor Day. I was so caught up in my casting call and dodging tornados, I forgot about Pearl Harbor. It was 65 years ago, today that the Imperial Japanese Navy bombed the Hawaiian port, drawing the United States into World War II. These days, the only people getting bombed in Hawaii are the tourists at the bars. I've visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial a couple of times, even taking the Black Queen and her two kids, during our last family vacation together. It's interesting to watch the old American veterans giving dirty stares to the Japanese tourists, at the memorial. As the Black Queen was half Chinese, I was worried that the vets might confuse her for Japanese, as a lot of Americans aren't good at telling the difference between Japanese and Chinese. When you visit Hawaii, you can visit the Memorial at Pearl for free, which is a good price.
No one bought me any Pearl Harbor Day presents, this year. If you want to gain a good understanding of what happened at Pearl Harbor, in 1941, I recommend the film, "Tora, Tora, Tora." The more recent film, "Pearl Harbor," has some great action scenes, but has a lot of melodramatic nonsense that doesn't pertain to the history. Happy Pearl Harbor Day, everybody (next year, remember to get me a gift).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home