Google

Thursday, November 02, 2006

If I'm Lyin' I'm Flyin'

Yesterday, at the restaurant I am currently working at, to supplement my income between acting jobs, I was talking to the Sous Chef, while doing some prep work. I mentioned my blog and he started asking me questions about it. The upshot of the conversation was that he and the junior Chef, Anthony, decided to look at my blog, on the office computer. Always keen to have more readers, I told them how to find it. Anthony has known about my blog for some time, but has never bothered (or remembered) to have a look at it before.
When the boys located my blog, they were amused at seeing my photo and recognizing me. They started reading my profile and their attention was drawn to the part about me running for Mayor of New York City, once upon a time. Needless to say, they were instantly skeptical. I don't usually discuss much of my past, from before I moved to England, with fellow restaurant workers. It saves on the endless questions and given that I am at an economic low point in my life, it's easier to just be ignored. There's a certain anonymity in playing "step n fetchit." Think "Old Ben" Kenobi, in "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope." Sometimes it's best if people think, "that wizard's just a crazy old man," when you are trying to avoid Imperial attention. I assured them it was all true. Why would I lie in my profile?
The boys decided to play detective and performed a Google search, attempting to verify my candidacy. I provided them with the relevant year and party endorsement. Sure enough, they found a link to a political party newspaper site, listing my candidacy (by Google, I think you've got it!). Sometimes seeing is not believing, so one of them suggested that maybe it was just someone else with the same name, as no picture was provided. Whether they believe it, or not, doesn't matter to me. I have nothing to prove. I know what I did and that's all that matters. Then, one of them mentioned the part saying I am quoted in a best selling book. Ah! That would be "Howard Stern: Miss America," his second autobiography. This time, there would be pictures, as there are a couple of me in the book. They were unable to find a copy of the book, showing photos, online, so I offered to bring in a copy I have. I had trouble finding it this morning, so it will have to be tomorrow. I have now dug it out from some of my stuff still in boxes, from my last move. When I go into work tomorrow, this should give the fellows something to entertain themselves with. As luck would have it, the Head Chef is back from vacation, so a fun time should be had by all. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home