Google

Monday, August 07, 2006

Radio Sunday

Yesterday was a bit of a marathon day for me in as far as being on radio shows. It started in the early hours of Sunday morning, just past midnight, with an anonymous call to Nick Abbott's show on LBC 97.3, London (Sky Channel 0177 or via the net at: www.lbc973.co.uk ). Nick asked people to call in to his show and complete the sentence starting with, "I love..." He was hoping for something humorous. Nick took the callers to air without naming them or screening them. I called in and said, on air, "I love my evil ex-wife, the Black Queen" (please don't tell her, she's big headed enough already). One of my Myspace friends, Kieran, recognized me on air, as he told me later.

After Nick went off at 1AM, Bill Buckley followed. I wanted to call in,but there didn't seem to be anything Bill was discussing that I had the urge to comment on. I was tired, anyway, so I ended up going to sleep. I woke up at about 10:20AM and for a moment, I forgot that the lovely Alison Bell was on air, right then. Suddenly, it dawned on me, so I put LBC on my computer. I wanted to call Alison and listened for the topics, to try to fit in. She was asking people to call about what stresses them. Well, not a lot stresses me, but regular readers will know I have a problem with being on time for things, so I called in and offered that as my most stressful thing. This was the second day in a row that I had spoken to Alison. When she took my call, she said I was her favorite and that I always call when she needs me to. I thanked her for the compliment and compliments will get you everywhere, with me.

The next show I was to call was James Max's regular Sunday evening show, between 7PM and 9PM, on LBC. James has previously claimed that I am his favorite caller, although he sometimes acts a bit fickle. Last Sunday, he cut me off quite abruptly, after seeming to get flustered over a mention of sex that his producer and I thought would be entertaining. Still, he belatedly put me in his top friends, on Mypace, so I would try to contribute again. I also knew that some of you would be listening, as I had messages saying so. (Why not all of you? What are the rest of you doing, for Pete's sake?) This time, James was talking about advertising, a subject I am very interested in. When I called in, James put me on with an old man, having us both on at the same time. I think James was trying to get a dialogue going between me and the old dude, but the old guy didn't seem to have much in him. James bailed on the both of us after a bit, before finding out that I used to write radio ad copy. He's a little too quick on the trigger and keeps missing opportunities to get more out of me. And if you are going to put me on with someone, James, maybe it would work better if it was someone a bit more lively? I still get the impression that James is a little uncomfortable with me, on air. I suspect he would deny this.

When James' show ended at 9PM, I headed downstairs to make dinner. I had spaghetti, of course, with a meatless, tomato based sauce and a side salad. A very cheap meal. Checking what was on TV, I noticed that Film Four was showing "The Motorcycle Diaries," which I had never seen. It's the story of a young Che Guevera and his friend traveling up South America, from Argentina, on an old motorcycle. As someone who has traveled cross country by motorcycle, myself, and who has been to South America, I found it quite interesting. Of course Che ends up, later in life, turning into a useless, communist twat, but that's another story and thankfully, doesn't play much of a part in the film. While watching the film, I enjoyed some microwave, buttered popcorn...umm good! Once the film ended, I flicked over to the Big L 1395 AM, London (Sky Channel 0190 or the net at: www.bigl.co.uk ), to catch the lovely Opal Bonfante's London Calling show. I listened long enough to hear what was being discussed, living in the country vs living in the city, then raced upstairs to catch the last hour of Iain Lee's Sunday night, Triple M show, back on LBC. Triple M stands for Mental Madness and Mayhem. While listening, I logged into the Iain Lee Forum chatroom, to see if Habiba was there again. (http://www.iainleeforum.com) She wasn't at first, but did turn up, eventually.

Iain's show finished at 1AM (technically Monday, but it still feels like Sunday night, as I hadn't been to bed) and I quickly called Opal, as she is on till 2AM.Opal seemed almost flirtatious when she got me on air. She said I was her favorite caller...at the moment. Not as strong an endorsement as Alison Bell, but still pretty good. Opal said she likes to keep her callers competing for her praise. I am building up quite a following, with Alison Bell, James Max, and now Opal Bonfante all designating me as a favorite caller. I had heard that Opal had spent the weekend visiting Mom and Dad, so I asked her if she had mentioned me to them. She denied that she had. Somehow, this evolved into a discussion about Opal having my baby, one day. After a giggly fun call, Opal subjected me to her usual, Spit or Swallow game, then prompted me to choose the next song she played. She keeps suggesting Girls Aloud, probably because that was what I requested during one of my first calls. I try to pick different songs, though, but she's always rushing me and, of course, the Big L doesn't have all the songs in their library that they should. I settled on AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." A classic.

While on the phone with Opal, I had my computer on mute, so LBC wouldn't go out over the phone while I am on air with Opal on the Big L. After hanging up with her, I turned the mute off and joined Bill Buckley's show, already in progress, to see what the topics were. Bill was discussing "guilty pleasures," and asking people to phone in with the songs they like to listen to, but would be embarrassed for their friends to know about. I called Bill's producer and said I wanted to talk about that. He asked me what my guilty pleasure song was and I said, "The Ketchup Song," by Las Ketchup. I had been debating that one versus La Macarena, by Los del Rio. While waiting for the producer to call back, I let the people in the Iain Lee Forum chat know I was about to go on air, so they could listen. Some of them don't like Bill Buckley, but I think he's fine. While waiting to go on air with Bill, I heard him reading out the top three guilty pleasure songs from some poll. When he spoke to me, I said I had three and he asked me for them in ascending order, starting with least embarrassing. I started with "La Macarena." Then my second one was "The Ketchup Song," which they then played a clip of, as I had told the producer that one. While waiting for my call back, I had thought of another which is even more embarrassing and that was my number one, the Cheeky Girls, "Touch My Bum," which is actually the subtitle. The main title to the song is "The Cheeky Song." Most of you in America probably haven't heard of the Cheeky Girls, but they are hilarious. They are twin sisters, Monica and Gabriela, from Transylvania! Check them out at: http://www.cheeky-girls.com Bill said my list might be the most embarrassing list anyone had come up with.

After my call, the night wasn't quite finished. I hung out in the Iain Lee chat room and when Bill played his first "best of" clip from another show on LBC, as he does each night, it was James Max, from earlier in the day and it was the segment I was in! So I was on air again! After that, I went to bed. Quite a run over about 27 hours. If you weren't listening, see what you missed out on? As these shows are broadcast over the internet, there is no excuse, even if you are not in Britain. Some of you have already sent me messages indicating that you listen. The rest of you, come on! What's even more important than letting me know, is letting the radio presenters know. They all accept email and calls. Let them know you enjoy hearing Joseph in Bracknell, on air. If you want, you can go on air yourself. They all love hearing from people outside the UK, so don't be bashful. You can be fully interactive. Both James and Opal have Myspace profiles and would love to add you as friends. See them on my top 24 friends on my page. Let them know Joey sent you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home