Google

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Artist of the Week: Narina Pallot

I spent a lot of time listening to bands and artists before deciding on my Artist of the Week, this week. I considered some who had songs on Myspace that were very subdued, but I wanted something a little snappier. The subdued ones sound too winter, to me. It's August and I didn't feel in the mood for something too quiet. Given the state of affairs in the Middle East, I decided to go with Nerina Pallot. Her song, "Everybody's Gone to War," has received airplay on UK radio, recently and that is where I first heard her. It's from her second album, "Fires."
Narina has had a tough time of it, in the music industry. Things didn't go well between her and Polydor, after her first album, "Dear Frustrated Superstar." There was a parting of the ways and Narina released "Fires" on her own label. Now, she has signed with 14th Floor Records, who has re-released "Fires," and she's been getting some airplay. She cites numerous influences, musically, including Carole King, Paul Simon, the Rolling Stones, Britney Spears, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills, Nash,and Young, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, the Beatles, and one of my favorities, Steely Dan.
Narina's father is half French and her mother is Indian, a combination that would interest me. She spent much of her childhood on the Channel Island of Jersey. She now lives in London. Looking at her blog on her Myspace page, www.myspace.com/nerinapallot , I was horrified to see several nasty comments form people in America, because of her song, "Everyone's Gone to War." Even if you are silly enough to blindly support the anarcho-statist, neocon gang, who seem hell bent on turning America into a military empire, here is no need to be nasty. The song is great, so check it out and her other ones on her Myspace page. This especially goes for my American readers, because while she has gotten some airplay in the UK, she won't have in America. American radio people, take note! All of you add her as a friend and give her supportive comments and messages. Be sure to tell her that I sent you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home