Google

Monday, August 21, 2006

An Iain Lee Monday

Sunday night's Iain Lee Triple M show, on LBC 97.3, London (Sky 0177 or via the net at: http://www.lbc973.co.uk/ ), was the best one ever. I didn't call in, as I tend to not be that motivated to be a Triple M contributor. While listening, I visited the Iain Lee Forum chat room (http://www.iainleeforum.com/ ), where there were a number of regular listeners and callers. The lovely Habiba was there and we had a nice chat. Habiba has finally gotten on Myspace and she requested that I add her as a friend. I was the first person to add her and the first to comment on her page. Habiba called in to Triple M, while she was in the chat room and mentioned me, amongst others.
Today, while I was driving home from work I was listening to the weekday, 3 and 1/2 hour, 3 to 6:30, Iain Lee Afternoon Wireless Show, also on LBC. Surely the most entertaining show on UK radio. Just as I was parking my car, Habiba called Iain. I sat in the car, listening. I learned that Habiba doesn't wear watches or jewelry. Iain's regular producer, Agent Chris, is still on holiday (vacation, for my American readers). Today, Lady Alex was producing (and doing a damn fine job of it too, I might add). Agent Chris is inconsistent when it comes to putting me on air. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't, although in fairness, the last two times I called in, before he went on holiday, he did put me on. One of those times, I was calling to defend his not having an idol. I wonder if that's why he put me on? Iain seems to like to talk about superheros, but he says that Agent Chris thinks it's boring. One of the times Chris didn't call me back to go on air, I had said I wanted to talk to Iain about Batman and the Green Hornet. Hmmmmm. I decided to take advantage of Chris' absence and call in.
One of the things Iain was talking about was the fact that BT has stopped sending red, second notices, when you don't pay the bill the first time it is sent. Iain said he'd had a call from an Indian dude on behalf of BT. I have had a couple of these calls, this summer, so I mentioned that to Iain. I also told Lady Alex that I wanted to speak to Iain while Iain impersonates Jack Bauer, from "24." After mentioning the BT call, I asked Iain to let me speak to Jack Bauer. Once again, Iain threw me a curveball, by saying, "Jack Bauer's not here." I wasn't expecting that. Iain followed up with another curveball, asking me how my blog is going. I asked him if he has been reading it and he said yes. I was tired, as I got up at 6:30AM, this morning, to go to work, after only having two hours of sleep. I couldn't think of what to say for a moment and Iain, quite politely, ended the call. I must admit I was caught completely off guard, as Iain has never, previously, acknowledged my blog in any way, nor indicated that he reads it. He never posts comments on it. I wish I knew what he found entertaining in it. That makes three London radio presenters who read my blog. Another LBC presenter, James Max, and the lovely Opal Bonfante, from the Big L 1395AM, London (Sky Channel 0190 or via the net at: http://www.bigl.co.uk/ ). Opal is such an avid reader, that she told me, last night, that while she was off taping a TV show, for a couple of days, her friend Becky called her to read her my blog over the phone.
A number of LBC and Big L listeners read my blog, as well as many other people. I have had readers, not just in the UK and America, but in Canada, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Lebanon, India, Germany, France, and the Czech Republic. Tom, the Injured Cyclist, is a regular reader and links to my blog form his own popular blog: http://theinjuredcyclist.blogspot.com/ . Iain is one of the inspirations for me blogging, as he's the one who convinced me to join Myspace in the first place, and I started blogging on Myspace. I still don't know what Iain would like from my participation on his show. I had planned a whole bit with him being Jack Bauer, but he torpedoed that. The lovely Opal Bonfante discuses what I will do on her show with me, before I go on air, so she and I collaborate well together. Iain exchanges messages with another of his regular callers, Varinder, via Myspace, discussing what Varinder will do on the show, but with me, nothing. Maybe Iain mentioned my blog so that I would write about him and promote his show. I am happy to, as one hand washes the other.
Iain has 1999 friends on Myspace and has 60 odd add requests pending. He's going to be selecting his 2000th friend, from everyone who gets an add request pending with him. I have just under 700 friends and am chasing Iain. Iain has been on Myspace a lot longer than I have and he has radio show, promoting his Myspace on his show. Perhaps Iain will give me more mentions, or be more favorable, when I have more friends than he does. You, my loyal readers and friends, can make that happen. Tell your friends and family about my blog and get them to become readers. Get your friends and family on Myspace to add me. The bigger I become, the more entertaining I can be for you. The bigger my readership, the more clout we have within the entertainment industry. We need to get to the stage where movie distributors, television companies, record companies, and even more radio personalities, are anxious to have me review their products. Why stop there? Airlines, hotels, car hire companies...all can gain publicity for their wares though my blog. When you, my readers, make us big enough, these companies may comp us with goods and services I can them give away in contests for readers. So, we are all in this together. I can't succeed without your support. If each of you get three people to add me, I will overtake Iain in friends. It's that simple Today London, tomorrow...the world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home