Google

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Artist of the Week: Jessica Simpson

A friend of mine once got very annoyed with me when I said I love the song, "With You," by Jessica Simpson. I don't care, I like what I like and the song was popular on MTV. I love the lyrics and wish a woman would sing words like that, to me. It's the type of song even my evil ex-wife, the Black Queen, would like. I like the sound of Jessica's voice and I like the video. Whatever you think of Jessica, she is a beautiful woman.
Jessica was born in Abilene, Texas, and raised in a suburb of Dallas. Like a lot of female singers in America, started out singing in her church choir. Her career started off slowly, but got a big boost after she married her long-time boyfriend, Nick Lachey, and MTV produced a TV series featuring the couple, called, "Newlyweds." I saw a couple of episodes and it was compelling viewing, as it was incredible how un-domestic she was. The show depicted her as a dumb blond, with the famous incident where, while eating Chicken of the Sea brand tuna, she asked her husband if it was fish or chicken. Some say the whole "dumb" bit is an act. While watching the show, I quickly concluded that the couple were not suited to each other. Watching Jessica struggle trying to do laundry, I realized that Nick didn't understand the woman he married. Jessica is like a Ferrari: very beautiful and good at what it is designed to do, but you wouldn't use it to go grocery shopping. He should not have expected her to do household chores, for Pete's sake. Thus, I was not at all surprised when it was anounced, in 2005, that they had split.
Jessica featured in the 2005 film, "The Dukes of Hazzard," playing daisy Duke. The soundtrack of the film included her cover of "These Boots Are Made for Walking." The video for the song shows Jessica washing the General Lee in a skimpy, hot pink bikini. I haven't seen the film yet, as the film company failed to give me a press pass to see it and I have been short of cash since 2004, so I have been going to see very few movies. I'll watch it when it comes on Sky. I notice in the video for "Boots," Jessica has heavily tanned herself. I think that's a shame, as she looked prettier in the video for, "With You," where she had more of her natural, pale color. I don't like women heavily tanning themselves. This will play havoc with her skin when she's older, if she doesn't stop.
Jessica has a new album, "A Public Affair," coming out on 29 August. You can listen to four of her songs at her Myspace http://www.myspace.com/jessicasimpson . I have selected, "If You Were Mine," as my profile song for the week. It was a difficult choice, because all four songs are good. Jessica is running a contest in which you can win prizes if you put one of her songs on your profile. Sadly, it's only open to US residents, so I can't participate. Why do they limit these contests to US residents? What about those of us in the UK? Jessica is also running a poll for which song should be her second single from the album. The first single was the title track and was out in June. You can also pre-order her new album at her Myspace page, so there is lots to do there. Please visit it and, if you do, leave a comment mentioning me!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home