Google

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bil Bahadur

Everyday at the restaurant, I eat lunch with people from Nepal (see my previous blog article, "Lunch With the Nepalese," 30 August, 2006). For a couple of months, I have been trying to get the one I call "Uncle" to teach me Nepali. I got tired of asking him. Suddenly, on Thursday, last week, Uncle told me that they had come up with a Nepalese name for me. They said my Nepalese name is Bil Bahadur. I asked Uncle, Cousin, and Billy what it means. Uncle said it doesn't mean anything, it's just a name. I was suspicious, because they kept laughing. For all I knew, they could have been calling me "stupid twat," in Nepali. I got the impression that Uncle had gotten confused and thought my name was Bill.
As I wrote in August, I made up names for these guys, because they have never told me their real names. Recently, the one I call "Billy" has started calling me "Billy" back. I think this confused Uncle and led him to think my real name was Bill. It sounded like Uncle was saying that the "Bil" in Bil Bahadur stands for "Bill." I showed Uncle my badge where it shows my name as Joseph. So what does the Bahadur mean? Today, I asked another Nepalese guy, Lox, who works as a Catering Assistant. He eats lunch at a latter time than we do, so he wasn't aware that the others had taken to calling me Bil Bahadur. I asked Lox what Bil Bahadur means. "Bahadur means brave," Lox explained. That's okay, then.
Today, at lunch, Uncle taught me a couple of phrases in Nepali, just out of the blue. I am not going to attempt to reproduce them, here, as I have no idea how to write them. Once again, Uncle could be tricking me to say something that would make me sound ridiculous. I decided to test them out on Jum, as he also eats later. I tried the first phrase on Jum, which is supposed to mean, "how are you?"
"I'm fine, thank you," Jum responded in heavily accented English. I guess Uncle wasn't trying to trick me. There was another revelation, during lunch. Uncle accidentally revealed Cousin's real name. It turns out Cousin is called, "Nil." Nil gave me a hot chili to eat with my lunch. He often does so. I think it started with him expecting me to freak out, as a lot of English folks don't like very hot food. However, I love hot, spicy food and I suspected what Nil was up to. I ate the chili with no problem. So Nil got into the habit of offering them to me. Beware Nepalese bearing gifts. Uncle says I need to learn fifteen Nepali words per month. Then, once I learn the language, I should go to Nepal and find a wife there. If I hang out with these people long enough, maybe they will reveal all of their secrets.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karelian Blonde said...

Badhai chha Bil Bahadur!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Joey B said...

That's great Karelian...if only I knew what you said.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Karelian Blonde said...

It is in Neapalese: Gongratulations Bil Bahadur :) My Nepalese friend confirms your name is indeed brave.
Your first lesson to become Nepalese is to accept Buddhas teachings:

I. All human life is suffering.
II. All suffering is caused by human desire
III. An end of human desire is the end of human sufferings.
IV. An end to all the desire can be achieved by following the "Eightfold Noble Path".

The 'Eightfold Noble Path' identified by Lord Buddha, which ultimately lead to liberation from the source of suffering are

I. Right Understanding
II. Right Thought
III. Right Speech
IV. Right Action
V. Right Livelihood
VI. Right Effort
VII. Right Mindfulness
VIII. Right Concentration

1:22 PM  
Blogger Joey B said...

What do left handed people do?

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home