Google

Sunday, August 19, 2007

I Won Some Money!

Today, I won a bet on the Manchester City versus Manchester United football match. My racist, Italian housemate, Nando, is quite a football enthusiast. So, I asked him to review the week's games and recommend a good bet. Nando's first choice was Manchester City versus Manchester United. United won the Premiership last season and was favored to beat Manchester City. The odds I received from the bookie were 3 to 1. For every Pound I bet on City, I would get three back, if Man City won. Nando reasoned that with two of Man U's star players unavailable for today's game, and given that City have a new coach, plus the match was at home for City, that, "if they are ever going to beat Man U, this would be the time."
Nando had to work today, so I watched the match alone. It is much more exciting to watch sports when you have money riding on the outcome. At first, Man U was dominating the game. The commentators all seemed to assume that City had little chance and I began to worry. Suddenly, towards the latter part of the first half, City scored. They went on to hold onto their slim lead, winning 1-0. As I bet £5, I ended up winning £15, as well as getting my original £5 back. This is one of the few things that is done better in the UK, than in the US. Gambling is legal and winnings are tax free, here. Okay, it's not a lot of money, but it represents a 300% return on investment, tax free. Nando got another pick, yesterday, right, but as the odds were more favorable on the Man City match and I didn't have much money I could afford to lose, he recommended that I concentrate on this one bet. Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home