Google

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

We have a new manager at the restaurant. He's working alongside the old manager, who's training him. In a couple of weeks, the old manager moves to his new position. In the meantime, there's two of them. The new guy seems like an easy going sort of fellow, which suits me fine. So long as he doesn't make my life difficult, I'm happy. Anyway, I was walking by the manager's office, on my way into the locker room to get my things and go home, when I spied a box containing several bottles of wine. Being the kind of guy that I am, stuck my head in the office and said, "is that wine for me?" Of course, I was totally kidding.
To my shock and awe, the manager said, "you can have two bottles," while the new manager looked on.
"Really?" I asked, suspecting that my leg was being pulled. He confirmed that the offer was genuine. Now I felt bad. I'd only been teasing, but he was going to actually part with wine. It had been used for some special wine tasting thing during lunch. He reassured me that it was okay to take some, saying that he'd already given some away. The bottles were opened and partially used. If I didn't take it, it was just going to waste. He offered the new manager some, as well. Good, train the guy to give me free stuff. Not being one to turn down an opportunity for free stuff, I looked through the bottles there, reading the labels on each one.
"I said you could take two," the manager commented, "I didn't say you could pick."
I looked up, innocently, and replied, "as there are six bottles present and you said I could take two, I figure some selection is required." He yielded at my impeccable logic and I went back to making my selection. As I usually seem to end up with white wine, I picked a bottle of Merlot. Nando prefers white to red, so I selected a bottle of Chardonnay, as my second pick. Armed with my windfall prizes, I got my coat form my locker. Then I went to my work area to collect the food I was bringing home, today. I had a bucket of rice, a bucket of lettuce, and a bucket of frozen chicken from a box the chefs were throwing away. Together with the wine, it was a cool haul. I shall raise a glass in honor of free stuff.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kindness said...

'coz you posted on my blog, you got me reading yours. but 'tis late and I just wanted to throw some love your way. Will be back for sure.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Joey B said...

Hey, cool. Welcome. Check out my archives for old articles. Some of them are gems. Also, I tend to mention some ongoing characters.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home