Google

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Favorite Christmas Film

It's getting to be that time of year again, when talk turns to Christmas. I don't do decorations. I don't really celebrate Christmas much, since my divorce. When I was married, my evil ex-wife, the Black Queen, used to like to do the Christmas thing, for her children. Also, she and I exchanged gifts with each other. Being on my own, there doesn't seem much point in it.
Nando came over, Sunday night, to watch "Lost." He moves in this Saturday and I found out he's not going to Italy this Christmas, so I will have him around for the holidays. When Nando arrived, I was watching a film, "Bad Santa." Up till now, "A Christmas Story" has been my favorite Christmas film. The story of a boy who wants a BB gun for Christmas, it's very amusing. I now think this must fall to second place, after "Bad Santa." "Bad Santa" stars Billy Bob Thornton, whose most notable achievement once was being married to Angelina Jolie. Thornton plays a crook who, with his partner, poses as Santa and helper, so they can rob department stores. Their criminal enterprise comes undone after Thornton befriends a troubled kid.
This is Santa for adults and the dialogue includes very liberal use of profanity. I found the film hilarious. I laughed out loud many times, which is always a good sign if I am watching a comedy. Nando missed the beginning, but from where he came in, even he laughed out loud and Nando is a very tough audience. He rarely likes comedies, preferring action films, instead. It's probably not a good idea to show this film to young children who are still dopey enough to believe in Santa Claus. For the rest of us, especially the jaded, cynical, bah humbug types, this is the perfect Christmas film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home