Google

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Goodbye Old Friend

The trousers I have been wearing to work at the restaurant have been worn for the last time. They developed a hole in an indiscreet location. Having previously saved them from split seams and a cut in the thigh, this hole in the fabric proved too much for my limited sewing abilities. Originally given to me by my mother, years ago, before I moved to England, I had come to rely on them for work. Mother being the practical person she is, bought me five pair, in two colors. They must have been on sale. She liked the fact that the waistband had elastic, which enabled these garments to remain useful, despite changes to my waistline. Three pair were dark blue and two were light grey. They are so old, I don't even remember when I got them, They are at least 10 years old and, possibly, older. This was the last of the blue pair, all three of which perished in the line of duty, over the past year and a half. It hit my like the passing of an old and trusted friend. They are survived by the light greys, which haven't seen as much usage, as the color isn't appropriate for the particular work I have been doing.
On the way home from work, I stopped in Tesco to do a big shop. I purchased a new pair of trousers, there. These are the first new trousers I have bought in two and a half years. They were on sale, so I got 20% off. I also got Tesco Clubcard points. Because of purchasing the trousers, my shopping bill was double what it would have otherwise been. I used this time to redeem a voucher I had for double Clubcard points. Isn't that clever?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loll!! Good deal, Joe!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Joey B said...

It was a bit traumatic, spending money. You might want to read a related article, "Trouser Trout," in my July Archives.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home