Google

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Artist of the Week: Keane

This week, my Artist of the Week is Keane. The band, from Battle, East Sussex, England, is made up of Tim Rice-Oxley, Tom Chaplin, and Richard Hughes. A former member, Dominic Scott, left the band in 2001, before they had achieved commercial success. Their second album, "Under the Iron Sea," was released in June of this year. It was number one in the UK album chart for the first two weeks after its release. I was slow to warm to the band and it was their second single form the current album, "Crystal Ball," which won me over and it is my profile song, this week. The next single is due out at the end of this month.
Keane are described as a "piano rock" band. With the departure of Dominic Scott, who was their guitarist, they have continued without guitar. The piano forms the lead instrument of the band, which is unusual in a rock band. Rice-Oxley was invited to join Coldplay, at one point, but he declined. "Crystal Ball" has a kind of "Coldplay-like" sound, which could be why I like it, as I like Coldplay. Tim Rice-Oxley's brother, Tom, was born on the same day and in the same hospital as Tom Chaplin. Their mothers became friends, as did the boys, who attended the same school. It was at school that they met Richard Hughes.
You can check out the band at their Myspace page: www.myspace.com/keane . If you haven't added them already, you can and tell them I sent you. I wish them continued success. Dominic Scott must be kicking himself, now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very grumpy because the gang and I had tickets to see them in Toronto, except they cancelled it. Bah!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Joey B said...

Yes, one of them is in rehab. They are cancelling loads of dates. Don't be gumpy because, after all, you're beautiful.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, compliments will get you everywhere. Mostly. *grin*

9:45 PM  
Blogger Joey B said...

I am full of compliments...or full of something.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home