Google

Monday, July 09, 2007

Now Anchovies

Recently, I embarked on another culinary, experimental adventure. I was having lunch at the restaurant where I work between acting jobs, and I chose an item from the day's menu that came with anchovies. Anchovies are another one of those things that I decided I didn't like without trying. It stems back to childhood. I think I heard so many people say that they didn't like anchovies that I just imagined they must be horrible. The only place I had previously been offered anchovies was as a pizza topping. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good pizza by putting fish on it.
I can't remember what the dish was that Chef Anthony had adorned with a pair of anchovies, although it definitely wasn't pizza. I ate all of the meat, leaving the anchovies on the side. I looked down at the two, tiny fishies on my plate. Suddenly, it occurred to me that I had never tried anchovies. Emboldened by my recent success with cucumbers, I decided to try them. Picking up one little fishy with my fork, I shoved it into my mouth in one gulp. Not bad. I went on to eat the other one, as well. I still don't think I would chose them as a pizza topping, but I can now eat anchovies. Fortune favors the bold.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home