Google

Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Model of Teen Unemployment

This week has been London Fashion Week, again. That's why there have been so many news items about the fashion industry, floating around. The latest is that the British Fashion Council has decided to ban people under 16 from appearing on catwalks. Recently, a 12-year-old model, Maddison Gabriel, caused a stir in Australia, during their Gold Coast Fashion Week. Australian Prime Minister, felt the need to open his gob and complain that "girls" under 16 shouldn't be appearing on catwalks. He described having a girl as young as 12 modeling as "outrageous." At least the models are doing honest work, Mr. Howard, unlike "government officials." It's hard to find work when you're a teen, so those who can should take advantage of the opportunity.
I had my first job, a paper route (or round, as the Brits say). I was 11 when I started. It never did me any harm. I wasn't earning as much as a model would. I think Naomi Campbell sided with those who favor a ban. That's hypocritical, given that she started at 15. I bet the real reason she favours a ban is that she doesn't want the competition from younger models. Let's face it, Campbell isn't getting any younger. When teens don't find work, people criticise them. You can't have it both ways. Someone needs to stand up for these models. I guess it falls to me.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Placebo said...

Can you seriously compare a paper round to the pressures of the fashion industry? I'm no model but I'm more than aware it's not just about having a pretty face and being able to walk and look FIERCE (Tyra Banks we love you!) on the catwalk. There's drugs, alcohol, eating disorders. It's not an environment I would encourage my daughter to enter at any age, let alone as a minor! Just have a look at the people these super models have become, Kate Moss, Naomi Cambell etc. They began as children, hardly role models (excuse the pun) for future generations of clothes horses.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Joey B said...

The mother of the 12-year-old Australian model fully supported her daughter's work. Drugs and alcohol are everywhere. Kids get exposed to them in school, even boys with paper routes. Headline grabbing extreme behaving people, like Moss and Cambell are not typical. Loads of kids work as models, actors, and performers, without becoming like those women. Good news doesn't sell newspapers. Maybe because I work in show business, I see more of what goes on behind the scenes and out of the tabloid headlines. If my child had the talent and the desire, I would fully suport him or her, in whatever he or she wanted to do. Your mileage may vary.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home